Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Weakness

I spent some time reading this afternoon. The book I have been reading is The Aviator's Wife by Melanie Benjamin. It's a fictional biography of Anne Morrow Lindbergh, the wife of Charles Lindbergh. Here is a quote I read today that really caught my attention and I've been thinking about it ever since. This was Mrs. Lindbergh's mother speaking:

"You need to stop looking for heroes, Anne. Only the weak need heroes and heroes need those around them to remain weak. You're not weak."

When I first read that I thought, "Sure, that's true." But the more I thought of it, the more I realized that it is true in the secular world, but for me, as a Christian, not so much.

I have heard it said that being a Christian means that you are weak. It's meant to be a negative thing, but I wholeheartedly admit that I am weak and that I need Jesus to give me strength. These verses came to mind:

But He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. ~2 Corinthians 12:9-10
 
I am weak so that Christ's power can been seen in me. If it appears that I am strong or brave in any way, it's because of Jesus Christ in me. He is my strength. He is my hope. I often (as in probably something like 99% of often) face the hard things in my life with much terror, but Christ meets me there and brings me through. 
 
Just my serious thoughts for today. 

Today I am thankful for...

...Jesus' strength in me and available for everyone
...the fact that I don't need to panic, I have read the end of The Book, I know Who wins
...chocolate chip cookies because sometimes I just really need one
...a text and a phone call from my daughter today
...

No comments:

Post a Comment