Thursday, May 5, 2016

The Encyclopedia Was Right

I suppose you have to be of a certain age range to have grown up in a house where there was rows of encyclopedias on the bookshelves in the living room. Did you have these cream colored with a dark green stripe The World Book Encyclopedias?


I remember when I was young I would spend time looking through them for school work and for fun. I remember reading about telephones. I remember reading about how the telephone worked...




...and reading about telephone etiquette. (Boy, do we need that nowadays!)



One thing I read about that always stuck with me was how sometime in the future we would be able to SEE the person we were talking to. Inconceivable!




Now that I am a grandma and I live halfway across the country from my sweet granddaughter, I am so thankful for Skype! I can SEE the people I am talking to! I love being able to see her in real time. We watched her walking on Skype. At this stage, our daughter seems to mostly just follow Lydia around with the phone so we can watch her. She does stop moving long enough once in a while to look at us and smile. We try to sing her the same song each time we Skype. I am excited about the day Lydia will talk to us via Skype.

Tuesday, early evening, I got a text from my son telling me to get on Skype in ten minutes. Why? He and his wife wanted to reveal to us the results of the ultra-sound they had that afternoon. It was so exciting to SEE their HAPPY faces when they held up the most adorable tiny BOY outfit! (Our grandson is due the end of September! Woohoo!) And we got to see all the ultra-sound pictures. 

Back in the 1960s and 1970s I thought the whole idea of seeing the person you were talking to on the phone was a impossible idea. Little did I know how much I would enjoy that crazy piece of technology!

1 comment:

  1. Our encyclopedias were red with a blue stripe. We had a couple of cream ones...the ones with updates and new information. They were thicker because they held so much information. My favorite red one was "D" because I liked looking at the dog pictures and the names of their breeds.

    Congrats on the new grandson! You have a busy year! (Our granddaughter is 2 months old today! We will see her LIVE next weekend when they come for Amy's grad party.)

    ReplyDelete