Friday, September 18, 2015

Like a River Glorious is God's Perfect Peace

My hubby is a wonderful piano player. I love listening to him play. When Lydia was here last month, he sat down at the piano and played for her.



She was entranced. This picture just melts my heart.

When I took this picture, Hubby was playing this hymn:

    Like a river glorious is God’s perfect peace,
    Over all victorious, in its bright increase;
    Perfect, yet it floweth fuller every day,
    Perfect, yet it groweth deeper all the way. 

    Refrain:
    Stayed upon Jehovah, hearts are fully blest
    Finding, as He promised, perfect peace and rest.

    Hidden in the hollow of His blessed hand,
    Never foe can follow, never traitor stand;
    Not a surge of worry, not a shade of care,
    Not a blast of hurry touch the spirit there. 

    Every joy or trial falleth from above,
    Traced upon our dial by the Sun of Love;
    We may trust Him fully all for us to do;
    They who trust Him wholly find Him wholly true.

    I didn't ask him if he chose that specific song on purpose, or if it was just a random choice.  Almost twenty-four years ago when our daughter was 20 months old, she spent three days in the hospital because of some sort of an internal bleed. (I wrote about it on my other blog a while ago, you can click here to read the details.) During those three days we were in the hospital, God put this hymn in my head. Every single time I have heard it since then, I tear up and remember those scary days. I also thank God for Megan's life and beautiful, godly woman she has grown to be.
      The hymn's text celebrates the blessing of trusting in God's care and keeping. Such trust produces peace.

      I saw this sign as I was shopping at Hobby Lobby last month with my daughter and granddaughter. 


      As I thought about what we had gone through with our daughter, and I heard Hubby playing that hymn TO OUR GRANDDAUGHTER, I realized that there is so much of God's grace in this sweet, little, happy, beautiful face.

      Lydia Mae when she was five months old and had been on her first plane ride to visit us.

      Praise God from Whom all blessings flow,
      Praise Him all creatures here below, 
      Praise Him above ye heavenly host
      Praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

      1 comment:

      1. Oh my, I know that feeling. Matt Redman's You Never Let Go was getting lots of AirPlay during the time when grandson #2 was so sick right after he was born and we didn't know he'd make it ... on the way to DD's when we got the call, every time we were on the way to the hospital to see him ... I can't hear it now with being reminded of that scary time ... and more importantly how God never did let go of us during that very scary time.

        ReplyDelete